A person who chooses teaching as a career, assumes the obligation to conduct himself/herself at all times in accordance with the highest standards of the teaching profession, aimed at quality and excellence in his/her work and conduct, setting as example to command the respect of pupils, the parents and colleagues.
Teaching, in its true sense, is not merely imparting of instructions but exerting influence on the children. A teacher's duty is not merely to communicate knowledge in specific subjects but also to help children to grow to their fullest stature and unfold their personality. In this responsible task, what matters most is the personal example of the teacher.
Every teacher is obliged to conform to the following code of conduct.
- Sincerely carry out all academic duties as assigned/scheduled on a regular basis.
- Instil in the minds of the pupils entrusted to his/her care, love of the motherland.
- Inculcate in the minds of the pupils entrusted to his/her care respect for law and order.
- Organise and promote school activities which foster a feeling of universal brotherhood among the pupils.
- Promote tolerance for all religions among his pupils.
- Not to be a member of any political party/organisation or carry on activities either openly or covertly in support of any such party/organisation.
- Always be on the alert to see that pupils do not take an active part in politics.
- Not be a member of the State or Central Legislature. He/she has to resign his/her job before standing for election as a candidate.
- Take his/her stand against the unhealthy competition in modern society and strive to his/her best to instil in the minds of pupils the principles of cooperation and social services.
- Cooperates with and secure the co-operation of other persons in all activities which aim at the improvement of the moral mental and physical well being of the pupils.
- Impartial in his/her relations with all his/her pupils. He/she is to be sympathetic and helpful particularly to the slow learners.
- A learner throughout his/her life not only to enrich his/her own life, but also of those who are placed under his/her guidance.
- Must regard each individual pupil as capable of unique development and of taking his/her due place in the society and help him/her to be creative as well as co-operative.
- Temperate and sober in his/her habits. He/she is to scrupulously avoid chewing of betel leaves, smoking and such other undesirable habits in the presence of students and within the school premises.
- Have an exemplary moral character. His/her dealings with the members of the other sex in the school or out side it, is not to be such as would tarnish his/her character or bring discredit to the school.
- Take pride in his/her calling and try to promote the dignity and solidarity of his/her profession.
- Not to indulge in or encourage any form of malpractice connected with examinations or other school activities.
- Not to divulge confidential matters relating to the institution.
- Not to undertake private tuition or private employment or engage himself in any business. To ascertain any violation of this rule, BOI is to be instituted by the Chairman, SMC and depending upon the finding/recommendations of BOI services of the defaulter employee are liable to be terminated.
- Be clean and trim, neat and formal, while on duty. His/her dress is to be dignified and no account is such as to become an object of excitement or ridicule or pity at the hands of students and colleagues.
- Be punctual in attendance, in respect of class work as also of any other work connected with the duties assigned by the Principal.
- Abide by the rules and regulations of the school and show due respect to the constituted authority, diligently carrying out instructions issued by the superior authority.
- Avoid monetary transactions with the pupils and parents and refrain from exploiting his/her school influence for personal matters in such a manner as not to incur a debt beyond his/her means to repay.
- Not to engage himself/herself as a selling agent or canvasser for any publishing firm or trader.
- Not to apply directly for an assignment or job outside the school. He/she is to forward his/her application through proper channel i.e. through the Principal.
- Not to represent his/her grievance, if any, except through proper channel, nor he/she canvasses any non-official or outside influence or support in respect of any matter pertaining to his/her service in the school.
- Consider school property and funds as if placed in trust with his/her and exercise the same prudence and care as he/she would do in respect to his/her own property.
- Not to accept or permit any member of his/her family or any other person acting on his/her behalf to accept any gift from any pupil, parent or any person with whom he/she has come in contact by virtue of his/her position in the school.
- On occasions, such as wedding , anniversaries, funerals or religious functions when the making of a gift is in conformity with the prevailing religious or social practices, a teacher may accept gifts if the value thereof is nominal.
- Not to give any talk on the radio or TV or publish any statement or document either in his/her own name or anonymously pseudonymously or in the name of any other person, which has the effect of an adverse criticism of any current or recent policy or action of the Central Government or a State Government which is capable of embarrassing the relations between the Central Government and the Government of any foreign State.
- Not to ask for accept contribution to or otherwise associate himself/herself with the raising of any funds or other collections, in cash or in kind in pursuance of any objective whatsoever.
- Dress Code: All teachers are expected to follow the sober dress code with lady teachers coming in saree to the school. Sobriety and befitting sartorial sense will be highly appreciated. Teachers are allowed to wear Salwar Kurta or Salwar Pyjama with Dupatta on every Wednesday as an exercise to break with monotony with intent to keep fresh and alive the dynamics of change.
- Discipline: Self Discipline is much better than forced discipline, sense of right and wrong is very important in education. Politeness is a virtue that makes the environment peaceful and healthy. Self pride, finding faults with others to hurt the feelings are the demerits if uneducated. Remember you are a member of the most disciplined and cultured society.
- Leave: Leave can not be claimed as a matter of right otherwise it will not be possible to run the institution smoothly in the absence of the necessary man power.
Leave without Pay: One casual leave in a month is admissible, but it requires timely intimation and sanction by Principal, if it is required suddenly telephonic message must be sent before 8:30 am on same day or day before. It should be later supported by written application otherwise it will be treated as leave without pay (LWP).
Note: After getting the first casual leave if more leave is required the candidate must meet the undersigned for the sanction of the leave.
- Text or Reference Books: All types of books whether text or reference will be prescribed by the management. No teacher will asked the student to purchase any book on personal basis. This must be taken very seriously. If the teachers feel the importance of any book they must inform the management for its approval.
- Money Collection: Teachers should notice very carefully that any kind of money collection from the student without the permission of the Principal & Management is not permitted at all for any reasonable subscription the concerned teacher should meet the Secretary through the Principal to explain it details and after clear indication only students should be informed to bring the money to the school.
- Corporal punishment of any nature to any student is not permitted. Teaching/Non Teaching Staff of SSMV are not to indulge in any activity which amounts to physical punishment/manhandling causing an injury to a student. The school staffs has to show great degree of patience and tolerance while handling situations of disobedience/ indiscipline and such situations are to be tackled as per prevailing rules.
- Any violation of this rule is to be taken serious note of, by the school authorities and suitable action as deemed it is to be initiated against the defaulters by the disciplinary authority.
- The above Code of conduct applies mutatis mutandis to all the members of SSMV.